Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Study Says 37% of Statistics are Made Up.

I sometimes wish I had the means to make highly accurate, scientific studies of completely pointless things. For example. The other day a friend and I were walking out of the mall and a big truck drove by and yelled sometime like "Lookin' good today fellas!" Now some might say "well that was nice of them" but what those people don't know is I was sporting a rather flamboyant mustache or moustache (which ever you prefer)
What i'm getting at is these guys were to trying to razz me for being gay. Which I am not. It got me thinking. I wish I could conduct a study of what types of cars people yell stupid things from. If I had to perform this study in a highly informal manner, based only on my personal experiences I think the findings would look something like this:

Picture 2.png

I feel that this chart I whipped up would be a fairly accurate reflection of what a real study would find. Here are some examples of studies that are completely pointless. Taken from various places around the web.

"People who have a tough time handling the stress of money woes are twice as likely to develop severe gum disease, a new study finds"

"According to tests made at the Institute for the Study of Animal Problems in Washington, D.C., dogs and cats, like people, are either right-handed or left-handed --- that is, they favor either their right or left paws."

(Cute, but essentially useless information. What are you going to do with it?)

3 comments:

rabidrunner said...

Money troubles give me the hives, not gum disease.

Anonymous said...

Give the the bank account number or Paypal address or location of a shoebox in an alley, and I will make sure your groundbreaking studies remain fully funded. This is the crap I personally need to know.

Vera said...

5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions!