Saturday, January 26, 2008

Project Apple Pt 2. The Honeycrisp

Up next we have the Honeycrisp apple. I was at the grocery store and was on the hunt for pink lady apples. Upon discovering Macey's didn't have the apples I settled on the Honeycrisp. I was pretty excited because A) I had never had one. and B) The name implied an extravaganza of flavorful and textural goodness. These particular specimens were quite small, though I have seen Honeycrisps that were much larger. (I'm learning that Macey's has rather poor produce) They got is right on the "crisp" part of the name but left much to be desired on the "Honey" side of things. In my notes I just wrote "Taste-ok" That's as descriptive as I got. I couldn't even liken the flavor to another apple or describe it's taste. It was just "ok"

As for the Capone factor I give it a 0. I set this apple on the chair next to me as I played Rock Band and he didn't even think about taking it. Perhaps he has learned to read my face and based on how much I am enjoying the apple decides that he must try it. It could also be that he could smell its mediocrity.
images.jpegTaste: 5
Texture: 15

Who it's for:
People with no taste buds who need a small, crispy bite to eat. Those with needy dogs with an insatiable hunger for apples.

To be fair it could be that because Macey's has such poor produce that I got a bum apple. If this is the case and someone knows better, tell me in the comments and I will try a Honeycrisp from another source.

Fun Facts about Honeycrisp Apples:

The Honeycrisp apple was produced from a 1960 cross of Macoun and Honeygold, as part of the University of Minnesota apple breeding program.

Honeycrisp apples can store three to four months in the refrigerator.

And From www.honeycrisp.com: "Honeycrisp it is more than an apple it is an eating experience!"


2 comments:

rabidrunner said...

How does one get in on the "Minnesota Apple Breeding Program" action?

Anonymous said...

From www.Honeycrisp.com I would agree that you probably got a bum one. It is fast becoming the most popular apple in the world. "Rabidrunner" brought up a great point the University has done very well with getting their dollar per tree. Take care and keep crunching. Paul Woolley