Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Project Apple Pt.1. The Rules. The Rome Apple

Project apple is underway and if you don't know what i'm talking about read this first. Done? good. So i unfortunately didn't get to eat all of the apples. I had to leave before i got through them all. I will continue when i get back though. I will lay down the ground rules for you now. I ate each apple and took notes in the trusty moleskine. I took note of the taste texture and any other notes I had. I also rated them on what i call the Capone Factor. Let me give you a little history lesson. One day I was eating an apple and wanted to see what Capone (my dog) would do if given the chance to eat an apple. I soon found that he is a fiend for apples. We don't normally let me him eat "people" food but I usually let him nibble on my apple when i'm done. He eats it like a human. Using his paw to hold my hand down.

So I rated each apple on a scale from 1 to 10 based on Capones reaction to each apple. 1 being he didn't even notice the apple and 10 being the apple is his first born child and I am trying to eat it, except he doesn't want to protect it, he wants a piece of that sweet, sweet baby. I will also rate each apple on a completely arbitrary scale from 3 to 17 (this a whole other blog post itself) based on taste and texture. On to the first apple!

The Rome

redrome0472.jpg

The Rome was one of the apples I'd never heard of. It was one of the prettiest apples I'd ever seen. The picture doesn't do it justice. Its taste was very sweet and quite delicious. The texture wasn't very good. It was soft. I really like a good crisp apple, something with a good snap when you bite a chunk off. This apple is a tough one because the flavor was amazing but I'm not sure it's worth it because of the soft texture. If given the choice between a granny smith and a rome I would take the rome. If you prefer a softer apple you will love it.

Taste: 12

Texture: 5
Capone Factor: 5

Here are a few facts about the rome apple from produceoasis.com:

"Usage: The best apple for baking, but also good eaten fresh & in salads.

Selection: Good-quality Rome apples will be firm with smooth and clean skin. The coloring is a brilliant and almost solid shade of red with white lenticels - natural tiny white dots that allow the apple to "breathe". Test the firmness of the apple by holding it in the palm of your hand. (Do not push with your thumb). It should feel solid and heavy, not soft and light.



Avoid: Avoid product with soft or dark spots. Also if the apple skin wrinkles when you rub your thumb across it, the apple has probably been in cold storage too long or has not been kept cool."

1 comments:

Brittney said...

Finally! The results. I've been waiting. I can NOT do a soft apple. No Romes for me. But a good point about using it for baking! It it really tastes that good it would be great in a pie.